Friday, March 8, 2013

Game conventions are not about the games

By: Jim Reed

Confirmed: conventions are about the people not the games

Another Convention has come and went. This time, it was Total Confusion in Mansfield Mass.

We (Not Just Another Gaming Podcast) just finished recording our episode all about the convention.

I've been to well over 20 conventions now. (Not 20 different but over 20 times.)

I've said this many times in the past, and this last experience just confirms my feelings, game conventions are more about the people than the games.

Of course, I'm sure this isn't how everyone feels, but I think if you don't feel this way, you need to change your approach, because you're missing out on the good stuff.

There's so much talk and planning in the weeks leading up to a con about what games you're bringing, what games you're running, what games you're signing up for, and what games you just want to try and get to a table. There's nights spent preparing and eagerly anticipating that epic yearly game if TI3, that Flames of War mega battle, that Heroscape Tournament, or (insert your own game here)!

And when you finally play, it is epic! You might come away with one of the most unbelievable stories that the game has ever produced!

This is all part of that incredible convention experience. But just a small part.

As I look back at my most memorable moments of this last Con, I can look at plenty of awesome gaming moments I had. Some stories that will forge memories forever. But those aren't what made my weekend.

What I will cherish the most, and the sole reason I vow to return to cons that are not very easy to get to, are the times shared with people, outside of the game.

One of the absolute best times I had at this past convention was just chilling and hanging out in our room till 5am not able to sleep because we couldn't stop laughing.

Every meal was an opportunity to talk and meet new friends and catch up with old ones.

I was picked up from the airport and spent the day hanging out with a terrific friend who I had just meet at this same convention a year ago.

Whenever I had down time, I wasn't looking for a quick game, I was hanging out, talking with another friend I only see at this con.

My regrets for the weekend weren't games I missed out on playing, it was not having enough time to spend it with everyone I would have liked to spend it with.

So maybe this isn't you. Maybe you're solely about the gaming experiences, which (and this is another topic entirely) I feel is 75% based on the people playing and 20% based on the game anyway. I'll let you guess the other 5%.

But for me, game conventions will always be more about the people than the games.

Check out more blog post, reviews, and total awesomness at njagp.com










1 comment: