Sunday, January 5, 2014

Rise of a Grumpy Gamer?

BY JIM REED


   I really don't consider myself a grumpy gamer. In fact, I believe I have been accommodating, patient, and considerate far past most peoples breaking points with regards to gaming situations. At least this is how I felt until a few nights ago. When I realized, there is a grumpy side to my gamer self. And I'm wondering, am I alone in this? Is this something that has risen out of my tenure in gaming? Is it because my game time has been limited.

Then I do remember back to a few explosions I have had in the past. A fantastic tale about a table with a fully set up Shadows Over Camelot game being flipped up come to mind. But those were rare moments. Right?

Recently I've noticed I have become much more picky about who I want to game with. I've become selective on who I want to play specific games with too. Now granted, this is based on the growing number of people I game with. I know who would enjoy heavier strategy games and who wouldn't. I know who is best to get together with when playing 2 player games. I know who to call up when I'm planning a larger party style get together and who wouldn't like to attend that type of game day. But I still don't remember being this since the beginning. (Which was about 2004)

But where I really feel like my "grumpy gamer" has come to full incarnation, is when it comes to playing longer thematic story driven games. Yes, one of the type of games that I love! This is also fueled if the game is cooperative, which many in this style are.

Some examples are games like Arkham Horror, Eldtritch Horror, Battlestar Gallactica, Mansions of Madness, Tales of the Arabian Knights, Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island, ect ect.

These games are immersive. They rely heavily on a thematic story unfolding onto the table. They're awesome!

Sometimes, when you play these games, not every player may feel as strongly about them as you do. Not every player will want to engage in the unfolding arc. Not every player will stay focused during a round of, especially if it's not "there turn". And here lies the problem. When this happens, I find myself loosing enjoyment in the game. I get upset, angry even. I get GRUMPY!

I try. I do. I try to help engage those players who would rather be talking about where they went to diner the previous night, or discuss the latest episode of Dr.Who in immense detail rather than pay attention to what is developing on the table. I politely remind them it's their turn, I calmly re-explain to them events that have just happened, and I generously offer to tell them why the board looks different since their last turn (meaning all the moves from the players and the game they missed while chatting about their latest trip to the mall - that's for you ladies)

I really dislike being a part of a gaming experience like this. I want to avoid it. I want to avoid people who I know are going to do this. I don't want to be grumpy, but it is me being a grumpy gamer. I doubt that this will end. How can it? It is how I feel. I want my game experience to be a certain way, and that's that. I'm sure I'm not alone. I'm also sure this resonates to many other facets of life as well, but for me, I feel, it is just one step closer to becoming a grumpy gamer.

I'd like to know who else is in this tribe with me. Also, is there a cure (or at least a sedative)?

1 comment: