Thursday, June 28, 2012

Pay Per Play Value

By Jim Reed

One of the greatest thrills of this hobby is the diversity in the wide spectrum of table top games. The constant barrage of new and exciting titles, expansions, and reprints means that "the cult of the new" can continue to strive and the hobby can remain fresh, exciting, and full of anticipation.

As gamers, this easily translates into a very good problem, what do I purchase out of the plethora of products that come out every month.
(You do know what a plethora is Jefe?)

The answer to this is a completely personal one that relies on individual decisions. Maybe you just buy every single game that comes out. Maybe you only buy certain companies products, or a specific game system. Maybe you buy only certain styles of games, or certain themes, or certain mechanics. Maybe it's a mixture of all the above. Maybe you buy your games based on certain theories. (Use the Jones Theory anyone?) Maybe it's just whatever you can afford at the time, how much space you have, or who the designer is.

How one persons purchase decisions are made can not be the basis of every ones collection strategy. Even if you think you have formulated the perfect unique equation, it may not be perfect for everyone.

That said, would you believe that I'm still about to tell you how I like to base my decisions? Would you believe that I've now asked four questions in this blog?

I'd like to say that this method is one of a kind but I highly doubt it is. I'd also like to say that it has some really catchy name or slogan to it, but, no.

I will start off by quoting a well known slogan that goes "Money Talks, ...... " well, lets just say that if you know it, you can fill in the rest. Let's just focus on the first part though. Another famous expression that fits my thinking is "bang for your buck!".

The best way I like to explain, is by using the term "pay per play". Am I willing to "Pay" based on an estimated number of times I am likely to play the game? Example time.

Lords of Waterdeep cost $33.00 (Cool stuff Inc. price with no shipping) I have played the game 8 times since purchasing it. I have essentially paid roughly $4.15 per play. To me, I would pay that much money to play this game. Plus, I'm fairly confident that this game will see the table many more times. It has a great Pay Per Play Value.

Take a simple quick cheap game like Jungle Speed. $14 / 38 plays = about .37 cents per play. Fantastic PPP!

Now, I bought Rune Wars just before Christmas a few years back. Retail for $88 after tax. I have played it 1 time. Do the math. Would I pay someone right now $88 to play Rune War?. I really like it, even with only 1 play, but no way!

Now there is an apparent catch to this philosophy. You need to be able to judge how often you think your purchase is going to get played. Sometimes you make good guesses and sometimes you don't (such was Rune Wars)

Also, there will be some other factors involved here an there. It could be a sentimental factor, or a purchase just to support the company (kickstarter backing).

Recently I did not purchase the Fantasy Flight Game Rex. I played this at a convention and thought it was fantastic, but I know my game group, my family, and the friends I play with. I would have a really difficult time getting it played. I may pull off a play or two but that is probably it. So the Pay Per Play value for me is probably around $20-$30. That's not a justifiable range for me. The same goes for the Mouseguard RPG. At $80, and knowing how many other rpg system I have, and how little I manage to get them played, not a good bet for me.

I'm not going to talk much on this but this line of thinking can be used in other areas of life as well including camping and outdoor gear, tools, Electronics, Video Games, and more.

So there you have it. Jim Reeds Pay Par Play Value Theory Thingy. Maybe I can call it the "Reedplay Value"!?

No comments:

Post a Comment