Monday, June 18, 2012

Game of Thrones re-read

By Jim Reed

I'm not sure how many people will be interested in this, but I at least thought it would be fun. If you have never read the series, this blog is going to contain many spoilers and not really talk about the books as a whole, but just focus on the different aspects I get from reading through the series a second time.

I first read through the first 5 "Song Of Ice and Fire Books" about four years ago. I finished book 4, A feast For Crows with about a year to wait before A Dance With Dragons released. Since then I have read through many chapter summaries but never went back and read the books page for page.

So I start again, With Ned Stark still Lord of Winterfell and Robert Baratheon King on the Iron Throne. With Viserys Targaryen still dreaming of reclaiming the realm and with Jon Snow, nothing but an out of place bastard boy.

Let's begin!

A Game Of Thrones
Pg 1 - 304

Right away the first thing to note was how much easier it was to manage and digest all of the names being slung around early in the novel.

It's not long before you get Stannis, Littlefinger, Varys, Aerys, and Rhaegars names all dropped and knowing who these people are made it a quicker, simpler read. Even having more understanding of the major characters introduced in the first few chapters helped to see the bigger picture.

I remember spending almost as much time in the Appendix of the first book than I did in the chapters.

I wasn't sure how I would handle the characters that I know their ultimate fates, (in this book mostly the party from Winterfell, and those across the narrow sea) but I seemed to absorb more of the story they were in, wanting to know more about them.

On the initial read through, characters that didn't have their own chapters just had to take a back seat. There was just too much to compute, but with characters like Robb and Theon and even Illyio and Jorah, I found myself more compelled toward them and that they were easier to read about.

DREAMS:

I've only had one Bran dream re-read so far but I was definitely more engrossed this time around although I'm not sure why yet. His journey has been one of the most least interesting to me. Maybe I'm looking for a spark?

HISTORIES

I knew re-reading these books that it was the histories that I was going to be the most interested in. The War of The Trident, the Tower of Joy. During the first read, all of this back story was overwhelming. I couldn't keep track of the current living characters let alone all the dead ones from the past 300 years and longer. But this time I find myself soaking it all up and eagerly awaiting the next time a characters reflects back or tells a tale. A few times even so far, like in a Sansa or Catelyn chapter, I have to fight the urge to skim ahead because I know what's going to happen in that chapter and that there is not going to be any back story. But I haven't skimmed yet!

NEW NAMES an PLACES:
Loren Lannister and King Mern - two name I hadn't remembered (I assume Loren is Tywins father or grandfather?) i don't remember if King Mern is mentioned anywhere else. I know the Field of Fire is mentioned and now I'll know what that battle was.

THOUGHTS and THEORIES

If there's one theory that is universally debated when it comes to this series it's the Jon/Lyanna/Rhegar theory. And this is where it all started. I did not pick up on this myself, but I have been paying close attention this time around. Not having read much on theories here's my view so far.

Ned tells Robert that Lyanna made him "Promise Me, Ned" as she was dying. He's saying this in regards to her being buried in the crypts of Winterfell but it's not really that clear. This promise could easily be something else.

It's stated that there were rumors about Ned returning a sword of the fallen Sir Author Dayne to his sister Ashara and that this was the woman he beds and has Jon with. When Cat ask Ned about this, he tells her "Jon is his blood and that is all she needs to know." (It could be a siblings child) He also tells her to never say that name again and makes her tell him who she heard it from. It says that name was never spoken again. Did Ned kill the person who had spread the name to warn others to stop?

Ned has obviously told Robert that Jons mother is a woman named Wylla whom he bedded just after marrying Cat. So who is , and where is Ashara and Wylla if they exist?

- It's also intriguing to see how much of a fascination Tyrion has with dragons, dating back to his childhood and his dreams of someday riding one.

HBO

It wouldn't be right if I didn't at least mention this right? However, I am NOT going to do any comparisons to the book/show. But I just want to touch on how the show is impacting my read through.

Mainly, In place of the faces and the locations that I had constructed from the details of Martins words, they have been replaced by Kit Harrington, Sean Bean, and the rest of the cast. My visions of Harrenhal and Kings Landing now envisioned just as the set designers intended.

But that's not a bad thing. In fact, I find it rather enjoyable. Now when I read the dialogue I can envision it being presented in the same great manor and voice that Peter Dinkiledge superbly presented.

No comments:

Post a Comment